Friday, October 9, 2009

The Weekend Challenge

Of course everyone knows that I have been reading So, You Want To Be Like Christ?. I am currently reading the chapter about surrender. Today's section was about studying Christ. Chuck Swindoll references Hebrews 12:2, "Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed--than exhilarating finish in and with God--he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And how he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God." We are to be Jesus' apprentices, learning how to listen and follow God. I think of my student teaching experience which was apprentice-like. I had studied for three and half years how to be a teacher, but then I got to try it out myself with people to help me become the best educator possible. We are to be the exact same way with Jesus. He studied God, did what he was supposed to do, and reached the finish line in heaven.

I need to stop just studying the Words of Christ and put them into action. Philippians 2:3-4 crawled all over me this morning; it says, "Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand." Jesus was the most selfless person; he did whatever God asked him to do. Every person has their own agenda, even the most Godly people. My goal for this weekend is to push myself aside, my curious ears and degrading mouth, and lift and encourage people with my words and actions. I am also reminded of the words of Jesus in Luke 9:23, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Jesus laid it out in three steps, but the process is so much harder.

We'll see how this goes...hold me accountable if you're reading this and I challenge you to try it too...

No comments:

Post a Comment