Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Perfect People

We know there's no way that we can be perfect. We've been taught all our lives that the only perfect person is Jesus Christ. So, why do try to act perfect? So many people cover up their insecurities and shortfalls, but we all have them. Our "imperfections" make us different from others.

God has really been working on my heart about this topic and he has sent me several devotions and pieces of scripture that have led me to this post. It all started during mine and Jordan's unemployment. God really comforted us and brought us through that time with confidence, not in ourselves but that our Almighty God would always take care of us.

I have also been reading about how to become more like Christ. Of course I'll never be perfect like Christ, but my readings are teaching me how to have a more Christ-like character. I have recently been reading in So, You Want to be Like Christ?" about uncluttering our minds and slowing our pace. We try to fill our minds and lives with things so we don't have time to think about how we have fallen short. God tells us in Psalm 46 to be still and get to know him. Silence makes people insecure. Chuck Swindoll puts it so well, "Insecure people need to stay busy; they need the constant attention of a fawning multitude. Unless that changes they will forever be shallow, underdeveloped people." I see this so often! Chuck also said that people will see you as confident when you have a peace and contentment within. The only way to have true peace and contentment inside is to spend time with Jesus.

The other thing that God has shown me about these so called "perfect" people is their lack of understanding of the body of Christ. I see this in men, women, and children. People are jealous of a skill or attribute that another believer possess. I know first hand that people don't like me because I can cook/bake and because I'm a leader, but I can't sing or take care of the sick. I see kids get angry at other kids because one can color better than the other. In 1 Corinthians, we are told that every person is given different skills and when we work together we are like a body. Only Jesus could do everything. We have to work with others to accomplish everything that Jesus could.

We cannot be perfect people. We (this includes myself) need to accept our imperfections and be content with ourselves. I am glad that I got to put this out there because I feel like preaching sometimes! It's so hard for me to understand others...especially other ladies!

So in the words of Natalie Grant..."There's no such thing as perfect people, There's no such thing as a perfect life, So come as you are broken and scarred, Lift up your heart and be amazed, And be changed by a perfect God."

No comments:

Post a Comment