Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mary or Martha

So, I've started reading Chasing God Serving Man. It's a book that describes how Mary (the God chaser) and Martha (the man server) both are important in ministry. So many people throw Martha under the bus because she didn't fall at Jesus' feet, but instead worried about the house and the meal. The main point this book makes was Jesus not also human? He loved the worship from Mary, but he needed the nourishment from Martha.

Matthew 8:20 says, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." Jesus felt that he didn't have a place where he could feel comfortable, except Bethany, the home of Mary and Martha. He loved Bethany because the needs of his divinity of humanity were found in Mary and Martha. There are both Mary and Marthas in the church. I know I am a Martha. I need Marys to meet the worship side of Christ.

We have our gifts as women of the church. These ladies need to love one another and not work against one another. Tenney, the author, describes the division between Mary and Martha as an argument between siblings in the backseat on a road trip. Our father does not want us arguing about particulars, but working together!! Tenney does warn Marys of trying to find the Holy Spirit when he isn't there, but welcoming him when he comes. He also warns Marthas of being too pushy and walking all over Marys.

Matthew 25:34-36 says, "Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." Marys and Marthas have to work together to meet the needs of our Savior and of the church. Which are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment